MENU

New Year's Peach Drop Will Count Down its Final Year at Underground Atlanta

December 2,2016

Source: Maria Saporta and Amy Wenk, Saporta Report

"Despite speculation to the contrary, the city of Atlanta will host the Peach Drop to ring in 2017.

The traditional New Year’s Eve celebration for 2017 was in doubt because the city is in the process of selling Underground Atlanta to South Carolina-based developer WRS Inc.

But Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said the city has decided to put off the closing of the Underground sale for a few days so it can host the Peach Drop.

“We tried to cancel the Peach Drop before to very bad results,” Reed said in an interview Thursday. “There was a public outcry, and it was loudly and wildly protested.”

Initially, the closing of the sale of Underground Atlanta was set for earlier this year, but then both the mayor and WRS said it would close by the end of the year.

“If we canceled the Peach Drop, we could close by Dec. 31,” Reed said. “Or we could have the Peach Drop and close within the first five days of the year.”

Reed explained it would have been hard to relocate the popular New Year’s Eve celebration to Woodruff Park or Centennial Olympic Park with such short notice."

Read the complete article at the link above.