The long-term vision for the proposed streetcar includes a north-to-south route from the Brookhaven MARTA station to Fort McPherson and an east-to-west route connecting The King Center to the Centennial Olympic Park area west of Peachtree Street. Initial funding will kick start the first phase, focusing on the Downtown east-west route. As they become available, additional federal funding opportunities will be pursued to further fund the streetcar’s expansion. Key features of the streetcar include:
- Potential for higher passenger loads
- Draw new transit riders
- Produces fewer emissions, impacting air quality and sustainability
- Reduces dependence on cars in a significant live-and-work corridor
- Appeals to visitors with its predictable fixed route
- Potential to increase ridership on connecting transit network
The Atlanta Streetcar and the Beltline project are complementary elements of the City’s Connect Atlanta Plan to increase urban mobility, sustainable development and livability of the city of Atlanta. For more information on the Beltline, visit Beltline project.