“The Baton Pass™” Campaign To Benefit Stand Up to Cancer
A collaboration led by Siemens and the documentary series CANCER: The Emperor of All Maladies to benefit Stand Up To Cancer
On March 19th, Siemens, one of the world’s leading engineers of imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT solutions, is launching a campaign called “The Baton Pass™” that will raise funds for Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C), a program of the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF), a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, to support its innovative cancer research, designed to get new therapies to patients quickly.
“The Baton Pass™” links the strong hope for survivorship for everyone facing a cancer diagnosis with the critical need to invest in research. The Baton will be passed at events across the country, touching the hands of patients, survivors, doctors, scientists, health care workers, families and anyone who has been affected by cancer, signifying how we are all united in the fight against this disease. Everyone can participate in the campaign by visiting Facebook.Com/TheBatonPass, which will host an app where users can virtually “pass” the baton in dedication of loved ones contending with cancer or whose lives were taken by it. The app will also provide a simple way for individuals to make donations to Stand Up To Cancer.
Siemens is jump-starting the fundraising effort by donating one dollar to SU2C for every pass of the Baton -- physically and online -- up to $1 million starting March 19, 2014 through September 5, 2014.
- Siemens has created a co- branded Baton which serves as a a symbol of the unity humans share in the battle against cancer. The Baton will be passed from one person to another with the goal of reaching 1,000,000 people either personally or virtually (via a Facebook application). For every person that passes the Baton personally or virtually, Siemens will pledge $1 up to a total of $1,000,000.
- Siemens plans to launch the program on March 19th on Good Morning America.
- A dedicated Facebook page has been created to support this campaign. On launch day, multiple Times Square signs in NYC will simultaneously feature the announcement/partnership along with photos from the Facebook posts.
- Throughout the 5.5 months campaign, the Baton will travel to major healthcare institutions, tradeshows and related events across the U.S.
- On September 5, 2014, Stand up to Cancer will host its bi-annual telethon on TV. More than 100 celebrities are scheduled to attend to present and take donations. The Baton will have its last hand-off, on air, to a cancer survivor.
- Creative design
- Embedded GPS tracker to digitally track the Baton’s visits across the country online
- Light feature for visibility at night especially for tracking at events
- Launch is planned for March 19th on Good Morning America followed by a passing of the Baton in Times Square. Siemens sponsors the ABC digital ribbon screen in Times Square and all signage in the Square will promote launch.
- Following GMA, the Baton will travel to New York Presbyterian (NYP) hospital for an event focused on the importance of medical research and the critical need to increase research funding. Following the event at NYP, the baton will travel to the American Cancer Society Hope Lodge where a media event will be held to pass the Baton and highlight the role community-based organizations play in providing lodging for those seeking cancer treatment away from home. The Baton will spend the night at the Hope Lodge before continuing its journey across the United States.
- During the campaign a real and virtual baton will be passed among a million people around the globe, from person to person, across cities and states and countries to highlight the need for increased funding for cancer research.
- The campaign will be supported with a specially created app along with regular postings on Facebook and Instagram