Traffic Signal System Upgrades & Retiming Project - 65 Intersections
The Traffic Signal System Upgrades & Retiming Project addresses an overall approach to traffic signal improvements within Downtown Atlanta, including equipment modernization and signal operation needs. A 16-intersection ‘demonstration project’ concludes in July 2010. Downtown-wide improvements will replicate the work of the demonstration project within key Downtown corridors, improving up to 65 additional intersections.
- Improve traffic signal system operations and mitigate traffic congestion
- Modernize traffic signal equipment and address deficiencies
- Ensure consistent communication among intersections
- Provide for a fully -functioning network
- Improve capacities for maintaining Downtown signal operations
- Replacement of traffic signal controller units and cabinets
- Replacement of outdated incandescent signal heads with new Light Emitting Diode (LED) heads and pedestrian count-down signal heads
- Wireless communication upgrades and system integration
- Development of new timing and optimization plans for better traffic movement
- Assessment of the benefits of the improvements with measurement of vehicle emissions, travel time savings and fuel consumption
For more detail, look at our Downtown Signalization Upgrades Map.