M.L. King Jr. Landmark District
In June 2014 a completely new City of Atlanta Zoning Code Chapter 20C - also known as the M. L. King Jr. Landmark District zoning regulations - was adopted by Atlanta City Council. Use the following links to download and review the new district zoning regulations.
- Chapter 20C - M.L. King Jr. Landmark District Text
- Chapter 20C - M.L. King Jr. Landmark District Map
- Chapter 20C - M.L. King Jr. Landmark District, Subarea 2 Limited Commercial District Map
- List of Contributing Buildings
- Sign Ordinance Text - Chapter 16-28A.010, subsection 27
- Overview and Summary of Proposed Changes
Together Atlanta City Councilman Kwanza Hall’s Office, Sweet Auburn Works, Inc., the City of Atlanta Office of Planning and Central Atlanta Progress partnered to lead a collaborative community-driven process to update the zoning regulations of the Sweet Auburn neighborhood – officially referred to as City of Atlanta Code of Ordinances Chapter 20C – Martin Luther King, Jr. Landmark District.
The need and desire to update the rules that govern the construction and use of buildings and land within the Historic District has been identified repeatedly through community plans including the Butler-Auburn Redevelopment Plan, the Imagine Downtown plan and the Old Fourth Ward Neighborhood Plan. To achieve the vision and goals of these plans, updates to the zoning regulations are recommended. Zoning laws are a critical tool for guiding the growth and development of a community. Ensuring that the laws are consistent with adopted plans is crucial.
The changes that were made to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Landmark District regulations are intended to:
- Protect the historic resources and character of the Sweet Auburn neighborhood
- Support investments in the re-use of existing buildings and the construction of new buildings on vacant lots
- Foster an urban, walkable mixed-use district that supports streetcar transit
- Make the rules easier to understand for owners and developers and to administer by staff
Update Process Downloads
Current City of Atlanta Code of Ordinances Chapter 20C - Martin Luther King, Jr. Landmark District zoning regulations
Map of the M.L. King Jr. Landmark District
Other Zoning Related Reference Documents
Questions? Need more information? Contact Jennifer Ball at jball at atlantadowntown.com