Source: Aaron Diamant, WSB-TV
ATLANTA - For the first time in nearly 30 years, the giant peach will drop from a new location on New Year's Eve.
There was a lot of speculation about the fate of this year's Peach Drop after the sale of Underground Atlanta.
A city spokesperson confirmed Wednesday that there will be a Peach Drop and it will be at Woodruff Park.
"To have a Peach Drop here would be totally awesome," downtown worker Lisa Lewis said. "It's being revitalized. There's a lot more going on in this area, like a lot of events in Woodruff Park, to bring people and businesses here."
The annual New Year's Eve event took place at Underground Atlanta for nearly 30 years.
Earlier this year, the city finalized the sale of Underground to a South Carolina real estate company, putting the future of the Peach Drop in question.
"We all adapt and adjust, and it's going to be fine. New Year's will happen, and we'll be good," said Valerie Hamm, from Conyers.
Past Peach Drops have attracted up to 100,000 people.
The move to Woodruff Park means the Atlanta Police Department will have to adjust its security strategy.
So far, APD isn’t talking about this year's plans. We know from years past to expect a strong police presence both in uniform and in plain clothes among the crowd.
Lewis said the venue change might get her to attend the Peach Drop for the first time.
"Because it's right here and I work in a building that overlooks Woodruff Park. I may be inviting my husband to come and watch," Lewis said.
Like with all big events, APD generally works with federal and state partners on intelligence.
A city representative said they'll release specifics about this year's Peach Drop sometime this week.