Past Dates & Times
- Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 1:00 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb 16, 2019 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb 12, 2019 1:00 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb 7, 2019 1:00 p.m.
248 Oakland Ave SE
Throughout February, Historic Oakland Foundation hosts free guided walking tours of Oakland Cemetery’s African American Grounds.
Stops along the tour include the final resting place of some of Atlanta’s black history pioneers, including Carrie Steele Logan, founder of Atlanta’s first orphanage for African American children; William Finch, one of Atlanta’s first African American city councilmen; Bishop John W. Gaines and Julia A. Gaines, pastor and First Lady of Big Bethel A.M.E. Church; and Maynard Jackson, Atlanta’s first African American mayor.
The hour-long tours begin at Oakland Cemetery’s Bell Tower, and will be offered on:
- Thursday, February 7 at 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 12 at 1:00 p.m.
- Saturday, February 16 at 1:00 p.m.
- Saturday, February 23 at 1:00 p.m.
Register for the tour below. While the tour is free, donations are greatly appreciated and will be designated specifically for the restoration of the African American Grounds.
Note: Not all areas of Historic Oakland Cemetery are wheelchair accessible. Please use your discretion when planning your tour visit.