Past Dates & Times
- Saturday, Mar 2, 2019 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
248 Oakland Ave SE
Daffodil Day returns to Oakland Cemetery on March 2. Celebrate the impending arrival of spring with a day filled with beautiful displays, garden experts, and fun activities for all ages in Oakland Cemetery’s Victorian gardens. Daffodil Day is free and open to the public.
- Guided Garden Walks
- Plants and Used Garden Books Sale
- Cut Flower Display
- Dialogue with Local Gardens Experts
- Children’s Craft Activities
- And More
- 11:30 a.m.: Heirloom Bulbs. Led by Georgia Daffodil Society member Adam Martin. Adam is a member of several plant organizations including Southern Garden History Society, Georgia Perennial Plant Society. He volunteers with Historic Oakland Foundation and the Georgia Daffodil Society.
- 1:00 p.m.: How to Grow Happy Daffodils. Led by Allen Haas. Allen is an active board member of the American Daffodil Society and newly elected Eastern Regional Vice President for the North American Gladiolus Council. His primary volunteer efforts focus on seven gardens at the Brevard Music Center in western North Carolina. Allen currently writes a monthly Mentoring Moments newsletter, which is distributed exclusively to over 1000 members of the American Daffodil Society.
- 2:30 p.m.: Historic Daffodils in Old Cemeteries. Led by Sara Van Beck. Sara L. Van Beck, horticulturist and plant historian, is a former officer of the American Daffodil Society and serves on the board of the Cherokee Garden Library at the Atlanta History Center. Van Beck has worked as a museum curator with the National Park Service and is the former president of the Georgia Daffodil Society. She is the author of Daffodils in American Gardens, 1733-1940 and co-author of Daffodils in Florida: A Field Guide to the Coastal South. Sara has written articles for the Daffodil Journal, the Magnolia bulletin of the Southern Garden History Society, and Florida Gardening.
Proceeds from the Plants and Used Garden Books Sale will benefit historic Oakland Foundation’s gardens team. Choose from an assortment of heirloom and unusual plants that will add even more beauty to your home!
Daffodil Day attendees will enjoy a 10% discount on all nature and garden-related books and items in the Museum Shop (HOF Members receive an additional 10% discount.).