WoodRUFF Bark Presents: Doggy Con
Illustration by Rachal Duggan
What is Doggy Con?
This year's WoodRUFF Bark is inspired by Dragon Con, one of the world's largest pop culture, sci-fi, and fantasy conventions that attracts thousands of people to Downtown each Labor Day Weekend. For Downtowners, Dragon Con is something of a holiday in its own right: a weekend filled with incredible costumes, positive energy, and plenty of fandom.
Doggy Con is bringing pup culture to Woodruff Park on Saturday, August 18 from 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. Strut your stuff in your best cosplay costumes before the big convention for a chance to win prizes...and eternal WoodRUFF Bark glory.
Doggy Con will feature a costume contest parade, doggy-centric vendors, prizes, and much more.
How It Works
Where: Woodruff Park Main Lawn, 91 Peachtree St NW
When: Saturday, August 18 from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 9:00 a.m. Parade bib pick up + walk-up registration (online registration by August 16 is recommended)
- 10:00 a.m. Parade begins
- 11:00 a.m. Prize Ceremony
Entrants must register to participate in the costume contest. Register for $10 by August 16, or register onsite at the event for $15. All funds raised from the event go directly back to supporting Woodruff Park. Want to just come and watch the parade as a spectator? You are welcome to do that for FREE!
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- Best in Show - This prize goes to the highest-scoring pup whose costume, presence, and panache bring the ultimate "wow" factor.
- Best Doggie/Owner "Con-bo" - This prize goes to the highest-scoring con-bo costume, meaning both pup and pup parent(s) strutted their stuff in costume.
- Best Cosplay Costume - This prize goes to the highest-scoring pup in a "true to the Con" cosplay costume - whether it's in homage to Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Disney, Harry Potter, Marvel, and beyond.
Contest Panel: Our contest will be judged by Karen Anderson of Tiny Doors ATL, owners of Joystick Gamebar Brandon Ley and Johnny Martinez, and doggo Instagram celebrity Reuben the Bat Dog. Our contest emcee is local radio personality Mara Davis, and our parade grand marshal is Teddy the Morkie Pup.
Thank you to Dragon Con, The Ellis Hotel, Big Daddy Biscuits, Ruff Day Bandanas, The Whole Dog Market, Pop Paracording, Grandma Lucy's, and Jazzy Pawz by Andrea for donating prizes!
We will be hosting a school supplies drive for Literacy Action, the official charity of Dragon Con 2018! Please only bring these items: 1-subject notebooks, pencils, USB drives, pens, highlighters, 2-pocket folders (no prongs).
How to Get Involved
If your organization is interested in participating in Doggy Con as a vendor with an onsite activation, please fill out this form. Participation rates are $50 for nonprofits and $100 for all other vendors.
If you want to attend Doggy Con, register today! Parade Registration >>
Thank You To Our Sponsors
Interested in becoming a sponsor? Please see more info here.