206 206 Washington St SW
Atlanta, GA 30334
The Georgia State Capitol is one of only forty-three National Historic Landmarks in Georgia. Built on the former site of Atlanta City Hall/Fulton County Courthouse (1854-1884), the five-acre property was donated to the state by the City of Atlanta specifically for a new capitol building. As the seat of state government since 1889, the capitol has been the focus of Georgia policy and law-making during the state's greatest periods of growth, and the scene of countless colorful events in the state's history.
Designed by Willoughby J. Edbrooke and Franklin P. Burnham in a style described as "Neo- Classical-Renaissance Revival," the classical lines and massive scale of the building appropriately reflect the seriousness of the work that goes on within. Built on one of the higher points of the city, the gold domed capitol is a visual landmark in the southern part of the downtown business district, and is the focal point of the state government complex.
Little altered on the exterior since its completion, the Georgia State Capitol is of very high significance architecturally, historically, politically and socially, as the symbolic anchor of Georgia politics since Reconstruction.