Fall has officially arrived in Downtown Atlanta, which means it’s time for cooler temperatures and the return of the Biketober – The Atlanta Bike Challenge. Biketober is a fun and free competition to encourage metro Atlantans to experience the joys and benefits of riding a bike.
To give you some inspiration to get pedaling, we rounded up the top five ways to enjoy Downtown on two wheels during Biketober.
- Try a clean commute: With some offices starting to reopen but traffic still at reduced levels, now is a perfect time to give bike commuting a try. If you need a refresher on city cycling, Atlanta Bicycle Coalition offers free virtual classes.
- Take in the street art: Atlanta is a well-known hotspot for murals and the city now boasts more than 1,000! Downtown has 80 murals, including the iconic John Lewis mural on Auburn Ave. and the famous South Downtown alligator. We’ve put together a self-guided bike tour so you can check them out for yourself.
- Be a tourist: Most of Downtown’s attractions are back up and running with new protocols to keep visitors safe. The College Football Hall of Fame, the Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coca Cola, and the Center for Civil and Human Rights are all open with plenty of nearby bike parking. Downtown also has 14 Relay Bikeshare hubs featuring newly upgraded Relay bikes with smart lock technology.
- Take the scenic route: More ambitious cyclists can follow the Stone Mountain Trail from its starting point Downtown near Centennial Olympic Park for nineteen miles all the way to Stone Mountain. If you’re looking for a fun way to rack up miles, this is definitely it.
- Rock the Vote: State Farm Arena, home of the Atlanta Hawks, is an official early voting location for all residents of Fulton County for the Presidential Election and Special Election, October 12-30. Exercise your body and your right to vote by biking Downtown to cast your ballot.
Even if you cannot make it Downtown, there are still plenty of reasons to participate in Biketober! Biking can improve your health, boost your wellbeing, save you money, and keep you connected to coworkers, friends, and family. Plus, there are fantastic prizes up for grabs, including an Edison Electric Bike.
So whether you visit us Downtown or just take a spin around the block, we hope you’ll join us in celebrating Biketober.
Feature image by Adam Shumaker; kiosk artwork by Killamari